Guidelines and Procedures
Auspices of the EFLM designates recognition of a professional conference activity of high scientific and/or educational level.
The EFLM is committed to maintain and promote exchange of information in Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine. The mission of the EFLM is to create academic, clinical and industrial links of communication for clinical laboratory scientists and physicians through highly qualified professional meetings which the EFLM may support in a variety of ways.
With the above in mind, congress and conference organizers of EFLM member states or EFLM-associated conferences and outside the EFLM may request for assistance from the EFLM in promoting, advertising and supporting their meetings.
Purpose of EFLM Auspices
The EFLM is interested in granting its Auspices primarily for European meetings, conferences and congresses which comply with these guidelines, in order to assist conference organizing committees to promote their meeting widely and attract a large professional participation.
The granting of EFLM Auspices, and its involvement in conferences enhancing the field of Clinical Chemistry and Laboratory Medicine, furthers the reputation of the EFLM.
Purpose of Guidelines
These guidelines have been prepared to:
- Assist groups to apply for the Auspices of the EFLM for their meetings, symposia, conferences and congresses.
- Review the scientific and educational contents of those events for which an application for EFLM Auspices has been received.
- Offer the experience of EFLM as assistance to the applicant groups with any aspect of the organization of the event or its program content, especially in promoting the meeting on the EFLM website, and where appropriate, suggesting help with scientific content deemed.
Eligibility for EFLM Auspices
EFLM Auspices may be sought by:
- Any EFLM Member Society, Specialty Group or Corporate Member
- The organizing committee of any meeting, conference or congress outside the EFLM in which the meeting topics are directly related to the goals of the EFLM.
- On occasion the EFLM may invite such organizing committees to apply for EFLM Auspices.
Applications should be submitted to the Committee on Education and Training (C-ET) of the EFLM using the application form attached to this document.
All relevant details of the scientific/educational program, venue and meeting organization should accompany the application form.
Applications should normally be made at least 6 months in advance in order that EFLM may have some meaningful impact on the promotion of the meeting.
For meetings, conferences and congresses related to laboratory medicine held in Europe EFLM, as the European regional federation of IFCC, is primarily responsible for granting Auspices.
When event organizers apply for IFCC Auspices too to enhance the global visibility and impact of their event in Europe, the Committee on Congresses and Conferences of IFCC should notify the C-ET of EFLM.
Approval of EFLM Auspices
The EFLM Committee on Education and Training will review the application and make a decision based on the excellence of the event and forward to the EFLM Executive Board for a final approval.
The Chair of the C-ET or the Secretary of EFLM will officially notify the applicant in letter (sent by e-mail) on the decision.
Where EFLM Auspices are approved the applicants will be expected to acknowledge the support of the EFLM towards the success of the meeting in the official program of that event.
The granting of EFLM Auspices does not imply any financial agreement between the organizers of the event and the EFLM.
Publicity and Promotion
The granting of EFLM Auspices indicates that the official EFLM logo should be used on all relevant brochures and publications. It is available from the EFLM Secretary.
Notices of meetings approved for EFLM Auspices will be included in the list of EFLM Congresses, Conferences and Exhibitions, which is part of this web-site.
Organizers of meetings granted EFLM Auspices are able to contact the EFLM Secretary for assistance with addresses and mailing lists that may help with the promotion of the approved event.
Scientific and Educational Program
The organizing committee of meetings granted EFLM Auspices are able to request assistance from the Committees of the EFLM either for the recommendation of speakers or for the organization of symposia or workshops. Any such assistance provided will not be at cost to the EFLM.
Obligations towards the EFLM
Applicants for EFLM Auspices must not make any claims for EFLM support until written approval has been obtained.
Once EFLM Auspices have been granted the organizing committee has a responsibility to:
- Use the EFLM logo on all promotional material
- Insert an acknowledgement of EFLM support in the event program
- Notify EFLM of any major changes in the arrangements for or content of the approved event
- Supply EFLM with copies of all brochures and publications of the approved event, including the final handbook and abstract book
- Maintain the highest professional standards with regard to the scientific and educational content of the event
- It is desirable for the organizing committee to make a short final report on the success of the event and send it to the C-ET to be published in EFLM News and on the EFLM website.
Free Circulation of Scientists
The EFLM subscribes to the principles of the International Council of Scientific Unions (ICSU) concerning the free circulation of scientists as published in: “Advice to Organizers of International Scientific Meetings” 1983/84 (available from the ICSU Secretariat, 51 Blvd de Montmorency, F-75016, Paris, France).
EFLM Auspices can not be granted to any event that does not adhere to these principles.